Skip to content ↓

Welcome to Chilwell School

Share, Care, Believe, Achieve

West Bridgford 1 - Chilwell 2

West Bridgford School was the salubrious setting for this South Notts Cup clash on a wet and windy autumn afternoon, Tuesday 12th November.

Chilwell School were without their first choice keeper and were forced to play Adam Price-Sappi in goal rather than his preferred midfield position. Chilwell School were also forced to play Jamie Nisbett as a lone striker due to the absence of his usual strike partner from school. The odds looked strongly against Chilwell School, with West Bridgford fielding their usual strong team against our slightly depleted side fielding two debutants.

Things looked ominous for a Chilwell School when the usually imperious Ferguson made an uncharacteristic error playing the ball across the goal, allowing the Bridgford left winger to drill home a fine goal at the far post.

Chilwell answered almost immediately with through the effervescent Nisbett, who nimbly beat the offside trap and lobbed the ball confidently over the approaching keeper.

Lewis Sanderson making his debut as right wing back was causing the opposition left back lots of problems with his pace and power on the right flank. A fine through ball by ‘man of the match’ candidate Riley Bilson saw Sanderson outpace the full back, drive into the penalty area and cross for Nisbett to tap home his second goal of the game.

Despite an early error from Ferguson, playing in the ‘libero’ role at the back, his confidence was not diminished, as he made tackle after tackle and several goal line clearances to maintain Chilwell’s modest lead.

Ferguson was again at the heart of the game when in the closing minutes, he was adjudged to have brought down the West Bridgford striker and a controversial penalty was awarded.

With almost the final kick of the game, the West Bridgford striker picked himself up from the turf and set himself up to take the penalty. With everyone preparing themselves for extra-time, the young striker blasted the ball straight at Price-Sappi who tipped the ball onto the cross bar.

With only minutes remaining Chilwell School showed great resilience to hold on to their narrow lead and book their passage into the next round of the cup.

Fantastic performances to all involved, but special mention to Nisbett for his two goals, Kneller and Bilson for their dominant display in midfield and Fergusuon for his brilliant tackling and goal line clearances. A massive thank you to Price-Sappi for stepping in as goal keeper at the last minute.

Man of the Match: Daniel Ferguson.

**PLEASE NOTE** Calls may be monitored or recorded for training and quality purposes.