Skip to content ↓

Welcome to Chilwell School

Share, Care, Believe, Achieve

Super Swans Stun Spencer

Chilwell School 2 - 1 George Spencer Academy 

‘I hope anyone is not stupid enough to write us off…’ -Brian Clough

After a mid-morning pitch inspection by Mr Lodge and Mr Littlewood, it was decided that the County Cup Semi Final against George Spencer Academy could proceed, despite the torrential downpour the day before.

Mr Fendick decided to rotate the squad after Tuesday’s fixture against The Minster School in the South Notts Cup. Fresh faces and fresh legs were brought in, along with a change in formation to the more traditional 4-4-2.

Luke Brennan being asked to play as a central striker alongside Kanye Bradshaw gave Chilwell a more attacking emphasis with Jordan Willows playing in central midfield. Both of these players would prove to be pivotal to the outcome of the game.

GSA were a strong and powerful team and looked particularly dangerous from set plays, on a muddy pitch that caused problems for both teams defensively. This proved to be the case relatively early in the first half, where a GSA corner was whipped in with verve and headed in powerfully by the GSA centre-half.

This was the first time Chilwell School had been behind all season and gave Mr Fendick the conundrum of how to get a foothold back into a game that seemed to be going in GSA’s favour.

Chilwell were limited to a few free-kicks as their main source of attack, with the GSA keeper performing heroically to keep the home side at bay.

At the interval, Mr Fendick again changed the shape and the on-field players, knowing that he probably needed to get Willows further up the field to cause GSA more problems.

Willows was now playing like a man possessed, importantly getting the ball much further up the field, with young Alfie Upton passing the ball with a much needed fluidity. Willows danced past the GSA defence like a young Rudolf Nureyev, before unleashing a dipping drive wide from the right that looped over the excellent GSA keeper. 

Minutes later, lightning almost struck twice, with Willows hitting a carbon copy strike, but this time the ball hit the cross bar before rebounding into the grateful arms of the goalkeeper.

Mr Fendick’s half-time changes now saw Chilwell dominate the second half. Willows continued to pepper the GSA back line with free kicks and Amiero Darby crossing dangerously from the right wing on numerous occasions, caused chaos at the back for GSA.

The deteriorating pitch continued to cause problems for both teams, but it was Chilwell that finally broke the deadlock. Luke Brennan was played through wide on the left, he powered into the box and then passed the ball nonchalantly through the legs of the advancing keeper.

Rapturous scenes of celebration followed, however there were still ten minutes to hold on, with Mr Fendick clear to his team to remain focused and concentrated for the closing minutes.

GSA continued to press for an equaliser, but Chilwell continued to dominate the majority of the play. Our large and enthusiastic home crowd helped to create an electric atmosphere. Their relief was palpable when the final whistle was finally blown to the delight of Mr Fendick and the Chilwell squad. 

Another County Cup Final for a Chilwell team after and another fantastic victory for ‘Fendick’s Fledglings’ in this record breaking season.

Mr Fendick’s Man of the Match: Ethan Hatch (Brave and tireless throughout the game.)

Mr Lodge’s Man of the Match: Jordan Willows (Balance, agility and mesmerising dribbling).

**PLEASE NOTE** Calls may be monitored or recorded for training and quality purposes.