PUPIL PREMIUM (Free school meals)
Pupil premium and free school meals
If your child is eligible for ‘free school meals’ and you register them for this, we’ll receive extra funding called ‘pupil premium’. We use this extra money to improve the educational provision and resources at the school.
What is pupil premium funding?
Pupil premium funding from the government is given to schools to help pupils reach their full potential, regardless of their background or financial situation. It’s provided for pupils who:
- Are registered for free school meals
- Have been registered for free school meals at any point in the past 6 years
- Are, or have been, in care
- Have parents in the armed forces
At Chilwell School, we get an extra £935 – every eligible pupil who is registered for free school meals. This extra money could make a real difference to the quality of education we offer.
For example, we’ve previously used pupil premium funding for:
- Educational provision/resources
- Academic interventions
- Wellbeing and self-esteem building interventions
Is my child eligible for free school meals?
Your child might be eligible if you access:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on
- Universal Credit, provided you have an annual net earned income not exceeding £7,400 (£616.67 per month)
Does my child have to eat the free school meals?
No. Pupils who are registered for free school meals don’t have to eat them. If you’re eligible, but you want your child to have packed lunches you should still register because the school will receive the funding which can support your child in other ways.
How do I register?
You only need to register once at the school.
To register, please follow the link: https://emsonline.nottscc.gov.uk/CitizenPortal_LIVE/en
For more information about pupil premium go to our website, which contains details of how the pupil premium has been spent in the past academic year and how it will be spent this year.