Careers/ Work Experience
Work experience provides valuable insight into working life and can help you prepare for future employment. Year 12 students complete a one or two week work experience placement that will be allocated to you. Knowing how to find work experience can give you a significant chance to secure a placement that is rewarding.
Follow the below link for some useful tips to support in securing your desired placement: https://uk.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/how-to-find-work-experience-year-12
What sixth form need YOU to complete:
1. Approach employers who may be able to offer relevant work experience to you. From previous experience, we have found that students have most success in securing a placement when they approach family or friends who can offer relevant work experience so we suggest that students take this approach first. Once students have been successful in gaining agreement with an organisation for a work placement, they will need to collect the following information from the employer on the work experience consent form (attached below):
- Contact name; email address; telephone number
- Name of organisation; address including postcode
- Type of work experience being offered
- Dates agreed for placement
- Confirmation of employer liability insurance
- Working hours and arrangements for break times including lunch
Once a relevant employer has been identified, the online work experience form must be completed by a parent and submitted at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the placement.
We can't stress how important this documentation is.
2. On receipt of the information on the online Work Experience Agreement Form, sixth form staff will then email the employer to confirm the placement and ask them to confirm appropriate liability insurance, risk assessment and policies are in place. Students will not be able to attend placements if this information is not received by school. Once the employer has confirmed these details the placement arrangements will be confirmed with student, parent / carer & employer.
3. Whilst on placement, students must complete the 'Work Experience Booklet' as evidence of their placement, these are available at the bottom of this page. This must include a brief reference from the employer commenting on the students' performance. This booklet must be handed in to the head of sixth form so that we can keep an accurate record of your placement before returning it to the student for future reference.